It has been so cold and so snowy here in the Midwest, and we have all been getting a bit of cabin fever. So, when we got cooped up yet another one of hubby’s days off, we decided it was time to make something a little extra special to lift our spirits.
However, I didn’t have everything on hand for the chocolate, and with the snow falling full force atop the icy streets, it was not an option to go get what we would need, so I had to tweak it to fit my cupboards. The result was so delightful that I want to share it with you!
My original plan was churros con chocolate, but when I accidentally burned the fry oil (hubs shouldn’t have left me alone with it!) after only a couple cooked, I had to rethink that plan! We had way more chocolate than churros, and the chocolate was too thick to be drinkable as it was (in my opinion at least) but after adding some extra milk, it was spectacular! Goodbye hot chocolate packets, hello hot fudge sauce! It was also amazing over ice cream!
Don’t you just love when fails turn out better?!
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Half & Half
- 1 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 (14 oz) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Heat the milk and half & half on the stove top over medium high heat (do not boil)
- When heated through, whisk in the cocoa powder and chocolate chips and turn the heat down to medium. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and the vanilla and turn the heat down to low. Heat through.
- If your mixture gets too thick, add 1/4 Cup more milk.
- To make hot chocolate: fill a mug 1 part chocolate to 1 part milk. If you aren't a chocoholic like I am, try 1 part chocolate to 2 parts milk.